The GPD Employees’ Foundation has been a proud supporter of the Akron Children’s Museum for seven years.
Last month, the Foundation completed a renovation of the museum’s Little Monsters Maker Space—which the GPD Employees’ Foundation has been a sponsor of since 2016. A team of GPD architects and interior designers worked closely with Traci Buckner, Executive Director of the Akron Children’s Museum, to learn about her team’s vision for the space.
The Maker Space is the cornerstone of creative activity in the museum. Our vision for the renovated space was to provide visitors with workstations and accessible material stations that include everything needed to spark their imagination! We couldn't have done this without GPD's support. The team even rolled their sleeves up to help us get the space reactivated in time for our new expansion.
Traci Buckner, Executive Director, Akron Children's Museum
With their vision in mind, our design team created a new space with:
- New individual workbenches that include storage and lighting
- New storage towers that can accommodate a variety of materials and supplies for projects
- New seating in different heights to accommodate different age groups
- New wall graphics on the outside perimeter and the main backdrop wall
- Decorative acoustical ceiling baffles
- A “fashion zone” to foster creativity and fashion design
Our Foundation feels lucky to have been a part of the Little Monsters Maker Space renovation that will give children the chance to use their imaginations as they plan, design, and create in this new space.
To learn more about the GPD Employees’ Foundation, visit: https://www.gpdfoundation.org/